October 2, 2017

CT Construction Digest Monday Octoer 2, 2017

Plan ahead, 84 commuters: Lane shifts next week in Waterbury construction

WATERBURY — The state Department of Transportation is warning commuters of two traffic shifts set to occur next week on the Interstate 84 construction project.
Beginning Thursday night, I-84 westbound traffic will shift to the north, from the existing westbound Exit 25 on-ramp vicinity, and travel adjacent to the new retaining wall and existing path of westbound I-84.
Traffic will realign with existing westbound I-84 just east of the Harpers Ferry Road Bridge.
On Friday night, I-84 eastbound traffic will shift to the north, east of Harpers Ferry Road Bridge, and travel on existing westbound I-84 lanes. Traffic will shift back to existing eastbound I-84 alignment just west of the Scott Road Bridge.
This temporary traffic shift will allow for the continued construction of a retaining wall along future I-84 eastbound, and the widening of I-84 eastbound.
If inclement weather causes postponement, for westbound shift, work will be performed the following day; for eastbound shift, work will be performed Sunday night, Oct. 8.
The work is part of the $330 million reconstruction of I-84 between Washington Avenue and Pierpont Road, which began in April 2015. Three continuous lanes in each direction are expected to open by August 2019.