August 18, 2026

CT Construction Digest Tuesday August 18, 2026

Manchester senior center estimate jumps from $19 million to nearly $28 million

Michael Walsh

MANCHESTER — The estimated cost to convert a former church into a new senior center has come in higher than officials expected.

The town’s Board of Directors thought turning the Concordia Lutheran Church on Pitkin Street, which it bought for $1.5 million, into a new town facility would be close to $19 million. Now, the town is looking at a $27.7 million project.

Mayor Jay Moran, when first hearing the price, said he felt there was a sense of “sticker shock” around the table after listening to a presentation from an architectural firm that went over three different options, with the one suggested by the town’s 21st Century Senior Center Task Force being the most costly.

That plan, though, would fully convert the church into a facility with adequate space for all of the desired programming needs the town has as it works to replace its senior center, which is currently located in a former school building that is over 100 years old.

Chris Wente, a principal with edmSTUDIO, noted some challenges with the building that have driven the price up.

“One of the biggest challenges for this piece of property are the multiple levels this building has,” Wente said. “For a senior center it’s not ideal to have multiple levels you’re dealing with. There’s multiple entry points. For a senior center, it’s important to control the different points of entry to know who’s coming and going.”

Because of that, the firm’s design includes the construction of a second floor addition over the sanctuary space to “get this building to function as a 21st-century senior center and not just fit the program into the building.”

“We’re proposing a two-story addition to connect all the different levels of the building,” Wente said. “What this area does is it creates a connection to all the levels and it creates a sense of arrival. We’re going to have two points of entry … to land in the same spot.”

Outside the building, expanded parking would be installed, with 176 total parking spaces proposed. There would be planters, gardens, bocce courts and an extensive network of pedestrian sidewalks.

Dennis Schain, a board member who also sat on the senior center task force, said he was in favor of putting that nearly $28 million number on this November’s referendum vote, which residents would need to approve.

“This is such a priority and such a great opportunity that we need to step out and do this,” Schain said. “We’ll have to deal with the fiscal realities we face as a result. You can’t compare $28 million to zero, because creating a new senior center was going to cost something no matter what you do.”

Town Manager Steve Stephanou said once the board approves a number, they can’t raise that amount, but they could lower it at their September meeting.

Moran, as the board talked it over, said he was over the initial sticker shock and noted that if they went with a cheaper option and needed to add space to the senior center down the line, that construction would cost more.

“We have to look at what we’re losing when we start cutting back,” Moran said, noting that saving $3 million might not be worth it if the end project suffers because of it. “One of the main reasons we’re moving out is program space.”

Board member Ed Boland, who also sits on the senior center task force, said he was “definitely” shocked at the price tag. He even tried to get it lowered to $25 million at the task force meeting. But last week, he said, he changed his mind, saying he thinks he’d be alright with $28 million.

“It’s definitely needed,” Boland said. “Today’s price, it’s a lot of money, but tomorrow’s price, it’s a bargain.”

Board members suggested looking at state or federal funds to help aid the project, which they intend to do.

“We seem to be operating under the assumption that Manchester is going to be footing the full bill for this,” said Jerald Lentini. “We’re also talking about a regional draw. This will be used by members of surrounding communities. This is something that everyone east of the river is going to be able to use.”

Ultimately, the board settled on the high end with a $30 million spending package, which would include some extra sustainability efforts. That number can be reduced at the board’s September meeting before being finalized for the November vote.


After repeated water main breaks, Waterbury confronts '100 years of neglect'

Michael Walsh

WATERBURY — Since December, Waterbury has suffered multiple water main breaks, leaving residents and businesses without water for days.

And officials know that isn’t the last of it.

“Breaks are going to continue to occur in the system,” Mayor Paul Pernerewski Jr. said. “We haven’t done enough maintenance over the years. That’s a problem the city has had throughout its history.”

Pernerewksi said the city’s water pipes — some installed in the 1940s, others in the 1970s and 1980s — are in varying condition. The same goes for valves that have failed. But he said it’s the lack of direct work done on those pipes over the last 70 years that is coming back to hurt residents now.

“Prior administrations in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s — in order to keep taxes and costs down — didn’t do enough maintenance,” he said. “100 years of neglect. You can’t fix it in 10 years.”

In December, a Thomaston Avenue pipe installed in 1904 failed, creating a sequence of events that left thousands of residents without water for days. At the end of July, thousands more were without water when multiple water main breaks occurred on Tompkins Street.

“We have over 300 miles of underground pipes. Some of it is old and some of it is newer,” Pernerewski said. “In the case of the '70s pipes, they’re relatively thin and they’re subject to corrosion. That’s when you have the catastrophic breaks. We’re hoping to … analyze the pipes and hopefully identify spots that are weaker and repair them, which is better than waiting for a catastrophic break.”

Ramon Esponda is the city’s new water superintendent and has been in the position for just six weeks. He replaced Bradley Malay, the former water superintendent who was arrested and charged with forgery after police said he intentionally lied on his application. Malay has pleaded not guilty.

“The big issue here is delayed maintenance,” Esponda said, describing it as “mining the asset."

"You’re living off the asset until it fails and that’s really a horrible thing to do," he said.

Esponda, who previously worked for the city of New Britain, said Waterbury’s system is “extremely high pressure” because of the hills and valleys water needs to travel through. 

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Esponda said. “You need a lot of valves, you need high pressure piping and connections. Those things are expensive.”

Esponda and the mayor both know more water main breaks will happen. The hope, Esponda said, is to stock the city with enough parts — and in all the right sizes — to be ready for quicker fixes. Esponda said water service would have been returned faster during the event a few weeks ago if they didn’t need to wait for the delivery of parts.

“In order to be prepared for the next main break, we need to build up our inventory of parts,” Esponda said. “If we had these parts in place, we would have been up and running in 24 hours. But we had to wait three days for the parts to get here.”

Pernerewski said the city had already been working at upgrades before December’s water main break with around $32 million worth of targeted repairs, including upgrading the high service pumps and mixers at the water treatment plant, installing new lining on Thomaston Avenue pipes and installing new pumps in parts of the city.

The mayor had included a suggested water rate hike in his proposed budget this year to help pay for future work. The Board of Aldermen approved raising the water usage rate from $2.65 to $3.50 per centum cubic feet, but rejected increasing the quarterly basic service charge for residents to $24, keeping it at $12. The Board did raise that service charge rate for large commercial uses, increasing it from $12 to $120.

“Part of it will be funded through the rates,” Pernerewski said. “We do have the lowest water rates … even with the increase. Those we’ll probably need to keep looking at. We tried to raise all the fees for the meters. We have to be more realistic about the costs to fix this.”

The mayor said the city will be talking with federal and state partners to find funding for more upgrades.

In the meantime, though, he said the city remains ready for any future water main breaks that might again leave residents and businesses without water — particularly in the winter when the ground freezing and thawing can stress infrastructure.

“We’re going to minimize it as much as we can,” Pernerewski said. “It’s going to remain a very old system. Even a brand new system is going to have these problems.”

In December, the city said they spent $230,000 on bottled water to distribute to residents. A few weeks ago the city was able to bring potable water to residents and provide water for residents to simply flush their toilets.

But had the system been working the right way and the right parts were on standby, the mayor said, the city would have been able to keep more residents with water during those breaks.

“We’re going to look to stockpiling some parts in the city,” Pernerewski said. “If we had this valve … that would allow us to maintain water on the west side of town. We would have been able to keep them with water. We have lots of quantity of water. The system is designed, if everything is working, we can shut off an area and there’ll be a small area without water. But we’d be able to keep large areas flowing with water.”

Esponda said that preparedness is what will keep more people with water the next time the city suffers a break.

“If we make proactive decisions, we can minimize the effect on people,” Esponda said. “We have to stop being reactive. We have to be proactive.”


New Haven landmark Sports Haven, visible to 140k drivers each day, could come down this week

Mark Zaretsky

NEW HAVEN — Sports Haven, the vacant landmark former video off-track-betting parlor in the Long Wharf section known for its highly visible giant murals of racing horses, is expected to come down this week and demolition could begin as soon as Tuesday morning, officials said Monday.

The property owner and its demolition contractor, J & J Demolition, could have a demolition permit in hand as soon as Tuesday, city Building Official Robert Dillon said Monday. It will be up to them when they begin taking the building down, Dillon said. 

Demolition of the building at 600 Long Wharf Drive — which is seen by about 140,000 vehicles per day passing by on Interstate 95 — is coming about a month later than the previous estimate by city officials. 

Several employees of a hazardous materials abatement company were still on the property Monday morning, working to get the property ready for demolition. A supervisor and an employee of the demolition company both said demolition could begin sometime this week.

this summer, the building underwent an environmental assessment, Dillon has said. Part of that assessment was to determine whether the building had any asbestos-laden tiles, he said. 

The process leading up to demolition began in February when a liability company affiliated with Queens, N.Y.-based Criterion Development submitted an application to the city.  Demolition plans were approved, with demolition to begin after a cooling-off period that ended on May 27.

Criterion hasn't specified what it plans to do with the property. Sports Haven closed at the end of November 2025 after being purchased by Criterion in March 2021. 

Criterion development manager Brian Alcorn did not immediately respond to a request for information about the company's plans for the property.

Mayor Justin Elicker said he's also waiting to find out.

"We don't know, either," Elicker said. "In general, I don't think a sports betting operation is the best use for New Haven."

"We're here to support" any future use that is compatible with the city's goals, Elicker said. 

The Long Wharf Responsible Growth Plan for the Long Wharf section calls for a mixed use of residential and large format commercial uses, city Economic Development Administrator Michael Piscitelli has said.

One example of large format commercial use might be a grocery store or other large format retail store, Piscitelli has said.

But as recently as 2019, environmental studies identified Long Wharf as facing a significant flooding threat over the next several decades as result of climate change and storm surges from New Haven Harbor.


Norwich to put $55M police station to Nov. 3 vote

Daniel Drainville

Norwich — Members of the City Council on Monday night voted to add a question to the Nov. 3 ballot asking residents to approve $55 million to renovate the former Chelsea Groton Bank building at 300 Main St. into a new police station.

Last year, the police department offered public tours of the current 47-year-old police station at 70 Thames St. The tours showcased the building's insufficient storage and interview space, lack of changing rooms for female officers and numerous other problems, including mold and water from a leaky roof that threatens computer equipment.

Police officials have repeatedly boasted how the former bank building at 300 Main St. would provide much more space, including more interview rooms, and locker rooms for the department's female officers. The department currently has 73 officers — while the current station was built to accommodate only 51.

Over the years, the city has made several attempts to build a new police station, but those proposals were rejected at referendum or earlier.

The only council member to speak prior to the vote Monday was Mayor Swarnjit Singh.

“This need is not new. It existed for decades. And prices keep going up. From $33 million to $44 million to $55 million. And they’re not coming down. I do construction for a living so I do know," Singh said. "And I feel like it fits the overall vision of creating better public safety for our people. And as we are growing downtown, this has become a need as well.”

Singh pointed out numerous housing projects that have been added downtown, and the potential for more in the future, as evidence that the need for the police station there is growing.

"We as a council can only make the decision of whether to put it forward to referendum or not," he said. "But I think this is the time to bring the downtown back to the light, make it safer, make it more inviting, and move our city forward."

Alderman Peter Mystrom made a motion to push the referendum to the 2027 election, but that effort was defeated 5-2. The motion to set the referendum for Nov. 3 was approved 6-1 with Nystrom in opposition.

Nystrom said he did not think residents would approve the project.

"I don’t think the city has done enough public relations to promote this bond," he said.

The council's vote was preceded by a public hearing that lasted about an hour, during which residents spoke for and against putting the question to referendum.

Opponents' concerns centered mainly on the cost for the project.

Speaker Rob Dempsky was among several speakers questioning why there were not more options being presented to the public. He said the options on the table are either approve the police station for $55 million or nothing at all, and asked why the city couldn't save money by putting a substation in the downtown bank building.

"We're being given a false choice," he said, encouraging the council to slow down and take some time to discuss options.

Speaker Jason Guidone, a Hebron resident and candidate for the 19th state Senate District seat, said that perhaps it would be better to build a substation downtown, or explore multiple substations in strategic locations around the city.

One of the people to speak in favor of the resolution was Chuck Tyree, a police chaplain for the Norwich and Waterford police departments. He urged council members and the public to "vigorously support" the police station project as a vital need for public safety in the city.

"Norwich police department needs your immediate support," he said. "Imagine moving all of our sitting government in city hall here. All of our divisions, offices and officers, and flags, to the first floor basement of this meeting. I would love to see us try this. And then try and efficiently administer and govern our citizens crammed in half the space you need to do your work. That's the current situation in the Norwich police headquarters."

Tyree echoed much of what was said in an informational presentation by Lt. Nicholas Rankin that had preceded the meeting.

Tyree pointed out that the building is "falling apart," with constant failures in heat, air conditioning and plumbing, and a leaking roof. The dispatch center is in a room with a water-damaged ceiling, and equipment is cooled with "Walmart fans," Tyree said.

All of that makes attracting quality police officers difficult, he added.

"We have an opportunity now to take a first step to meaningfully address that need by actually supporting our officers," he said. "So, I recommend to you that you please put a new police station on the ballot in November."

Susan Topping said she thought it was "brilliant" to have the police station building downtown, a sentiment shared by a few other speakers.

Other speakers referenced the good work of the police, that the cost to build a station in the future would likely increase, and that the former bank building was a good location.